We also advertise on

RightmovePrime LocationZoopla
The Property Redress Scheme
My Deposits


What is a tenancy agreement?

A tenancy agreement is the contract between the tenant and the landlord. What happens at the end of the tenancy agreement? If you wish to move from the property make sure you give your landlord written notice. It is a good idea to send the letter by recorded delivery and to keep a copy for your own records.
Assured short hold tenants are liable to pay rent for the entire agreement period. Your landlords and their agent will do an inventory of any furniture, fitting and conditions to check against the inventory made at the start of the let. Make sure all of the meters are read before you move and ask for the final bills to be sent to you at your new address.

What is a deposit?

This is a payment in addition to the rent paid by the tenant. The amount is usually equivalent to one or two months rent and is held by the landlord or agent throughout the tenancy and will be fully or partly withheld should the tenant or visitors cause any damage to the property. The deposit cannot be used as payment for the final period of the tenancy. You will receive your deposit after the property is become vacant and the necessary check taken in place.

My landlord has stoped collecting my rent

Firstly write to your landlord stating that you want to pay the rent. Keep a copy of the letter for your records.
Set up an account for the rent and continue to pay it in as usual, should any court action follow you will be able to prove that you were willing to pay the rent and have been doing so. Can I withhold my rent if the landlord is not carrying out repairs to the property? Providing the correct procedure is followed. In circumstances where the landlord has failed to perform a repairing obligation the tenant could carry out the work required and take the cost from the rent. Any tenant considering this should always seek advice first, and must provide the landlord with the opportunity to perform the repair. In most cases if the tenant does not pay the rent the landlord can take legal action for arrears and seek possession of the property.