We also advertise on

RightmovePrime LocationZoopla
The Property Redress Scheme
My Deposits

General Information


Rent is the money paid to your landlord in return for the right to occupy his property. It can be paid weekly, fortnightly or monthly, as agreed between your landlord and yourself.
If you pay your rent you are entitled to a rent book, this must have the name and address of your landlords or agent on it and it must be provided by them. If you have an assured or assured short hold tenancy you must agree a level of rent at the start of the tenancy as this level can’t be change during the fixed term of the agreement. In the case of an assured short hold tenancy the rent must be set at a market level. Once the fixed term comes to an end the landlord may wise to increase the rent. In order to do this he must give you a months notice and serve you with a section 13 notice-

Which states:
The propose new rent
The date it should take effect
Your rights as a tenant in relation to the procedure.
If you disagree with the rent increase and you are unable to negotiate a mutual level with your landlord, then you can apply to the RAC (Rent Assessment Committee). 
This must be done within 28 days. The RAC will decide reasonable rent the landlord could expect for the property and set a reasonable market rent.
If you have an assured tenancy with a rent review clause stating how and when the rent will be reviewed you and your landlord cannot apply to the RAC.


In letting of less than seven years the landlord is responsible for the repairs to the structure and exterior of the building, basins, sinks, baths, toilet and heating. The tenant must allow the landlord or his agent access in order to carry out necessary work. However, the landlord must give the tenant reasonable notice that access will be required. The tenant should use the property in a responsible way and under the rent act 1977, the housing act 1985 and the housing act 1988 the landlord can seek possession if the tenant or someone living with him has damage the property. The tenant should get written permission from the landlord before making alteration to the property.


All tenants are entitled to live safely and peacefully in their memes and harassment by your landlord or a person instructed by your landlord is an offence. Harassment can be in several different forms some of which are listed below:

- - Entering your home without prior notification.
- - Changing the locks.
- - Cutting of your utilities, such as gas water electricity.
- - Tampering with your mail or possessing.
- - Threatening you verbally or physically.

Keep a record of any instances where harassment has occurred, name of witnesses or anyone who may have become involved, doctors, police, etc. also get advice from your local council as soon as possible for help and advise.
Illegal eviction landlords must follow the correct legal procedure to evict a tenant. In most cases this involves serving a notice requiring possession. Most rent paying tenants are protected from illegal eviction and harassment by their landlords in the protection from eviction act 1977 and the housing act 1988. However, if you have been illegally evicted you should seek legal advice.
You have the right to apply for a court injunction to be allowed back in to your home and your landlord cant be liable for an unlimited fine and/or two years imprisonment.

The landlord can be evicting you if he proves to a court that one of the mandatory grounds for possession is satisfied.